What are Packages?
Packages are collections of components, apps, etc, which can be distributed to Salesforce org.
Types Of Packages
There are two types of packages:
- Managed Package: It is created for selling packages on the App Exchange platform.
- Unmanaged Package: It is created for distributing open source projects to any Salesforce org.
How to create Packages in Salesforce?
- Go to setup, search Packages in quick find box.
- Then click on New button.
- Give your package a name, and a description.
- Populate the Package with Components, for which click on Add button.
- Finalize the Package Details by specifying following information.
- Version name and number
- Links (if any) to release notes and post install instructions
- Password (optional)
- Package requirements outlining components that the receiving environment MUST have configured in order for your package to be installed
- Object requirements notifications on changes to either record types, sharing, field history tracking or feed tracking
- Upload the Package to the AppExchange by clicking on the upload button.
How to install Packages in Salesforce?
To install Packages in Salesforce following steps are needed:
- You need to have the URL for installing packages.
- Use that URL to log in to your org(in which you want to install the package).
- Approve Package API Access – set the requirements and permissions to align with the package requirements.
- Then select answer to further questions and click on the install button.