Master Detail Relationship In Salesforce
The Master Detail relationship in Salesforce is a parent-child relationship in which the master object controls certain behaviors of the detail object which means the child object depends on the parent object.
Features Of Master-Detail Relationship In Salesforce
Below are the following features of a Master-Detail relationship.
- When a record of the master object is deleted, its related detail records are also deleted.
- The detail record inherits the sharing and security settings of its master record.
- The Owner field on the detail object is not available and is automatically set to the owner of its associated master record. Custom objects on the detail side of a master-detail relationship cannot have sharing rules, manual sharing, or queues, as these require the Owner field.
- It is required on the page layout of the detailed record.
- By default, records can’t be re-parented in master-detail relationships. Administrators can, however, allow child records in master-detail relationships on custom objects to be reparented to different parent records by selecting the Allow reparenting option in the master-detail relationship definition.
- It can be defined between custom objects or between a custom object and a standard object. However, the standard object cannot be on the detail side of a relationship with a custom object.
- Lead and User objects can not be on one side.
- The data relating to the object appears on a related list.
- When we undelete the master record, all its related detail records also get undeleted.
- The maximum depth of the master-detail relationship is 3 i.e after 3 levels we can’t make more master-detail relationships in continuation.
A master-detail relationship cannot be created where the user or lead objects are the master.